- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas or white beans (1 can, drained and rinsed very well) (250g after draining)
- 1/8 tsp plus 1/16 tsp salt
- just over 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup nut butter of choice (If you use peanut butter, it will have a slight "pb cookie dough" taste
- up to 1/4 cup milk of choice, only if needed
- Sweetener of choice (see note below, for amount)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2 to 3 tbsp oats (Ground flax will also work)
Add all ingredients (except for chocolate chips) to a good food processor, and process until very smooth. Then mix in the chocolate chips. (Some commenters have had success with a blender, but I did not. Try that at your own risk, and know the results will be better in a high-quality food processor such as a Cuisinart.)
If made correctly and blended long enough, this should have the exact texture of real cookie dough!
Sweetener Notes: I used 2/3 cup brown sugar when I first made this for the party. Liquid sweeteners (agave, maple, etc.) are fine as well, as is evaporated cane juice. You can get away with less sugar-- some people will be perfectly fine with just 3 tbsp for the whole recipe!
To make baked cookies from this amazing dough:
Just roll some 1-2 inch balls of this dough on a cookie sheet (I love to use some foil on a small toaster oven sheet and bake these a simple way.)
Pop them in an oven at 375 degrees for 10-12 mins (or until slightly brown)
These are AMAZING!!!!